Thursday, December 9, 2010

I *HEART* school

Asa's school that is!! I was so worried just a few months ago when we first started planning for Asa to start school. Asa has so many little issues that if you don't know what to watch for you'll be sorry before you know it! I can't believe it's only been 2 months since he started school and his teachers have him pegged! They've only had to drain his tummy 2 times! Wish I could say the same thing!

There was 2 schools we could choose from when we started his IEP. One class was very much like a typical preschool class. Busy kids, playing with toys, various levels of behavioral and developmental needs but I didn't see any as physically involved as Asa. Doesn't mean the weren't there, I just didn't see them at the time I toured. The second school had a "medically fragile" class. I almost pictured a miniture hospital with a term like that but it wasn't at all! There were gait trainers, therapy mats, touch screen computers, supportive seating, switch toys, etc in the room! It felt like a therapy center and it felt right for Asa!

We chose the second class and right now there is only one other student in the class with a teacher and an aide. In January another 3 year old will join them. That's probably why they know Asa so well, they have pleny of attention to give him!

He goes at least 3 days a week and sometimes on Friday too. He goes from 12-3, but I usually pick him up at 2 so I can get to Anna's school by 2:30. He has therapy 3 days a week and I'd like to send him on Friday but gas is getting so high that he isn't going tomorrow. And that brings me to my thoughts of loving his school today!

I wonder if I've made the right choices for Asa. Have I underestimated him and his skills? He is changing and growing and adapting so quickly that I always worry if I'm holding him back. There is a fine line between pushing Asa's limits and pushing him over the edge!! How much noise and excitement can he take? How much therapy can he handle at once? It is a fine line! As we talked about the gas and buses. His teachers reassured me that I was right and Asa's sensory and fatigue issues wouldn't allow him to ride the bus. He just wouldn't be able to handle it! He hates the sight of the bus. He trembles when he sees the bus stop at the end of our driveway. Then there is the fact that we live 30 minutes from the school, out in the boonies! If that's 30 minutes in my van just imagine how long it is on a bus picking up other kids!  Did I mention that he tires out so easily that it isn't unusual for him to take a nap in the therapy swing? And he is only there 2 to 2 1/2 hours!

All this sensory talk led us to talk about the classes. His teachers also can't imagine how he'd handle a more typical classroom. He has done better than I could have imagined but I'm not sure he could handle the other room! They said when the computer or maintainance people come in he gets unhappy. Until this week when the nurse came in for the other little girl, he get bothered. They take him out in the halls and sometimes he can't handle the other kids walking down the hall in their little lines. Other times he does well. The good part is that his teachers get this! They are learning his cues! We'd all call this year a success if we just got to the point that he can handle school! Learning songs and colors will be icing on the cake!

But he is learning! He signs "more" and "please" often. He signs "school" and waves bye again! He seems excited to go to school. He doesn't necessarily get excited to get in the room but he gets excited to be "going"!!

I'm just so glad that he has this class and these teachers! I'm so thankful that someone else gets to play with him for a few hours a day!! We are still learning to adjust at home. The fatigue and transitions still aren't perfect but we are trying! A bath worked well for him yesterday but not so much me! We'll probably get a good plan about the time he is out for Christmas break!

Yep, I love Asa's school and teachers!

1 comment:

gg said...

This is how we feel about Bricen's school. It's a blessing to have other people care for your child and take the time to really "learn" them...to feel they don't view him as "just" a student, but rather as a child.