Monday, September 19, 2011

Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week

Today is the first day of Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week. Even as I typed that I don't know what else to add. What else to type. Most readers have been around long enough to see my yearly public service announcements on FaceBook. Or you've just followed here long enough to know how mito has affected Asa and our family. I guess I feel like everyone is tired of hearing me go on and on. Most of you guys either fight along with us or you are my close friends and are very aware of mito by now!

And then.... I watched as my FB was turned green by friends changing their profile pics in honor of mito week.

And then..... some wonderful, beautiful friends that I've never met in real life honored Asa and others by mentioning mito even though they fight battles of their own.

And then.... I think if all the kids that mito has taken from their families so far this year. And the many more that I didn't know or have contact with. All those families who didn't get their happy endings. So sad!

So I can't let the day pass without telling you all what you all already know. Mito stinks! It robs families. It takes life. There is no cure or treatment.

But I also have to say that I'm so thankful that Asa is healthy. He fights, he struggles, we struggle but we aren't close to loosing him. He is here. He is healthy. And I am grateful and thankful!

No comments: