Friday, January 13, 2012

What is valuable?

I've read a very heartbreaking blog today. It's made it's way around the Facebook pages of my friends with special needs kids. If you don't want to take the time to read it right now I'll give you a brief rundown.

--The parents of a child named Amelia, who has a rare genetic condition and was in liver failure, had a meeting with her doctor and a social worker to discuss the options for a liver transplant. The family had already decided they'd all be tested and since it was a large family, one of them would donate. But that was not an option listed on the forms presented to these parents. The highlighted portions said "mentally retarded" and "brain damage". In shock, the mom asked if she was understanding correctly. Was the doctor saying little Amelia could not get a transplant because her condition has caused "mental retardation"? He said "yes"! It gets even more outrageous and I hope you will read the post. This could certainly hit close to home for many but in all honesty we are ALL in danger of this kind of discrimination. Any of us could be a single car accident from "brain damage".

If you read the blog are outraged you can sign a petition at change.org. If nothing else, share Amelia's story.




But about the time I begin to wonder if we are really the type of society that even in a profession that is sworn to "do no harm", we can so easily write off the value of a human life, I find this link on Facebook that makes me tear up....no easy feat! It's an article about Tim Tebow. Surely you've heard of him. If you don't know him from football you've likely heard how is faith in God is getting him tons of attention....both good and bad. I didn't really buy into the whole Tebow praise until recently. I thought he was a faze and would fade away....plus he was a Gator! The more I hear about his history though, I'm pretty certain that his faith will still be strong even after football fades away!


If only our world was full of people who saw value in ALL people!! I want to be that kind of person. I also don't have the time and space in my life for those who can't see that value.

No comments: